From yesterday’s post, I didn’t write exactly HOW I did the alterations, but I briefly mentioned them. So I’ll try to go into more detail about what I did exactly.
Here”s a quick sketch of what I planned to change for the dress (sorry for the quality)
I had thought that the front portion that “connected” to the band in the back was a waistband, but I didn’t realize that it was connected to the actual twist detail.
From the inside of the dress, it seemed like I could just remove the “waistband” that’s why it seemed so easy to alter. I wanted to pick out the “waistband” and re-attach the bust portion to the skirt. The back portion was simple enough, but the front was more difficult.
The front portion seemed easy to do from the inside, but once I looked from the outside, the twist detail prevented me from removing the “waistband” portion completely.
Original Front (inside)
Original Back (Inside)
Original Outside View
So I ended up overlapping the “waistband” portion over part of the bust section and re-stitching everything in place.
What I Actually Did (Step by Step)
- Remove the side zipper
- Partially separate the corset lining from the dress (just the bottom)
- Remove stitching at the top of the band in the back
- Remove stitching between the bust area and the “waistband” in the front
- Flip it inside out, sew in the sides of the dress by half an inch
- Overlap the “waistband” over the bust detail and stitch in place
- Match the line of the “waistband” to the back band and stitch in place
- Sew down the corset lining
- Reattach side zipper
Here’s what the front looks like, I didn’t take a photo of the back, but where the band extends to the side, that’s where the back band connects.
The bust detail looks a lot smaller and the back band is higher than it was originally. I didn’t take photos of the inside since I stitched the corset lining back in place. But I think you can see the general changes from the outside.
I hope that helpful and please let me know if anything was unclear. Thanks! =)