After several weeks of running around, I had some time down time to finish my wrap skirt.
There’s something satisfying about creating your own garment pretty much from scratch. I want to tweak the notions a bit, but the overall skirt is complete.
This is my first attempt to make a real garment, not a costume or a last minute creation. I spent quite a bit of time blind-stitching the hem and other areas by hand to make it look more polished. I wish I can say that it’s perfect and it looks just like it came off the rack, but there are a few spots of puckering and such. I’m sure I’ll get better at sewing if I keep practicing.
As for the design, I had to adjust the pattern quite a bit to fit my frame. Even though I got the right size, I needed to adjust some of the proportions like the hip and the waist area. Thank goodness for muslin! I had to pretty much sew this pattern 3 times before I was finished with this project. (1 muslin, 1 lining, 1 sateen fabric) Plus, I ended up making the skirt length about 18″, which sounds short, but for me, it’s perfect. In the end, it was all worth it for a cute and chic wrap skirt!